Saturday, September 2, 2017

Who do you think you are?

Being in the age bracket of "millennials" I feel that my role in consumption is pretty large with the way mainstream media is essentially targeted at my generation. I think a lot of my usage is passive because I'm consuming media in a large variety of ways aside from the ways that I actively intend to such as watching TV, reading, or social media use. I feel like media is SO ingrained in American culture now that people fail to realize what media may even be considered anymore since the line is sometimes so easily blurred between what may people may consider media and what people may not.

I come from a racially mixed home, which is pretty much something I never saw on television growing up. It was always “taboo” or “frowned upon” if people from my favorite television shows were white and dated a black person or vice versa, and they would never even make it to the point of having a child. It seems like within the past 5-10 years I have seen increasing popularity in biracial celebrities such as Jesse Williams and Meghan Markle “popping up” on TV and in movies. I think this reason is because they are no longer trying to fit into the molds that they have been type casted into and are able to just be themselves, and be proud to come from a racially mixed background. I have always been taught growing up to be proud of all of me, not as two halves but as one whole person


Media fits into my life not only by what I've decided to study in college, but by the fact that I've chosen to make it my career. I’m lucky enough to see how people come together for mass media events when I’m working at Madison Square Garden. The excitement that fans have coming in for Knicks and Ranger games and various music concerts gives energy and an amazing vibe to the arena. On the opposite end of the spectrum, during times of disaster, the media can bring people together from all over the world to support a certain cause or to help others that are in need and to raise awareness for their causes. If utilized properly, mass media can be an amazing tool for use to have at our disposal and I’m really excited to see what the future holds.



Proud moment as a Ranger fan when my 
coworkers got me up on the boards for my birthday  #LGR 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment - Antonio Mihail

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment                 Teen pregnancy has been one of the largest national conflicts in the United Sta...