Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Who Do You Think You Are?

Media consumption is just an everyday reality for millennials. Personally I think media can have a positive and negative affect on people’s lives. I have chosen to study this field to better understand how people are affected and how I could increase the positive reactions and development towards media. Today, we are constantly viewing media as an inspiration or a different take on life. Growing up I had no actors or actresses that looked like me or represented my life. I always felt like I couldn’t relate to people on screen and therefore in my everyday life, I felt like an outcast. Television shows, movies, and advertisements, constantly bombard us and affect our lives. As I grew up, I began to appreciate more and more the different faces in media. I loved learning stories about different people, and understanding a deeper culture that I wouldn’t normally see. I went from watching shows with a dominantly white cast to seeing more minorities on screen. I think it is necessary that we continually see different points of view on all platforms in order to better understand ourselves and each other.


Two Summers ago I watched an original Netflix show called Sense8. Personally I thought the show was groundbreaking. The show featured characters from around the world, all the filming, side characters, and extras, were from their respective countries which gave the show an authenticity like no other. Also the show featured an LGBTQ cast played by actual LGBTQ actors. The show brought out the reason I wanted to go into media. It showed many different point of views accurately without depending on harsh stereotypes. The characters were dynamic, multi-dimensional, and featured stories that could connect to all different kinds of viewers. Unfortunately the show was abruptly cancelled shortly after the second season aired. Fans were heartbroken and quickly a social media swarm took over. People wrote to writers, directors, actors, and the people in charge of Netflix, demanding justice. Rarely do television shows ever make it back to air after being cancelled, but somehow all of the outrage made Netflix give a two hour special so the storylines could be wrapped up. Through the power of social media and a common goal many fans were allowed a conclusion. Here is a tweet from one of the shows makers to show the work of the fans.

The growth of social media allows people from all over the world to post content and share their lives with the world. I love the idea that people want to share their lives and experiences with others for enjoyment. In 2017, it is impossible to be an active member of society without understanding social media. When applying for internships and jobs over the summer, I was constantly asked to share my social media platforms with future employers. Although like most 19 year olds, I use Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr, and Twitter, I always considered myself an active viewer, rather than an active poster. I realized that part of my future life would depend on my social media accounts. My social media mainly consists of cheesy pictures of my family and friends but this year I have been trying to branch out and post more on all platforms. Although it is important to share your opinions and beliefs on social media there is always a slight possibility that it can go the wrong way. Future employers can look at your social media and make a decision based on a controversial tweet. It is almost like a double edged sword because I have to have social media but I also have to be consciously aware of what I post.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tiffany,

    I enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you that diversity in our media is necessary, and while efforts have been made in that direction there is still plenty of room for growth.

    It is very easy to just become a media consumer, to not play an active role and make sure that another narrative is heard. This issue becomes even more complex when you think of how one controversial post may be taken by others, including future employers. Media, specifically social media has been incredibly difficult to navigate in that regard.

    Thank you for sharing!

    -Yolanda Mackey

    ReplyDelete

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment - Antonio Mihail

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment                 Teen pregnancy has been one of the largest national conflicts in the United Sta...