Saturday, September 2, 2017

Who do you think you are? Well, I'm glad you asked

My relationship with media, you ask?  If pressed, I would give it the “‘it’s complicated” label on Facebook and call it a day. As a millennial, I have lived through the awkward pre-teen years of social media including, but not limited to, AIM and MySpace (rip). However I have also seen its triumphs such as Facebook and Twitter, sites that have gone on to change the world as we know it. I think it’s very important to be active on social media sites because they have given us a way to be connected like no other, but by the same token I am the first to admit that it can be very daunting and time consuming to fully immerse yourself into the ‘digital world’. But alas, I am active on various sites including Instagram, Twitter and Youtube as a form of entertainment; but I am also engaged with old school media sources like newspapers, in which I am referring to the NY Times app, television, film and everything else in between.


I am a firm believer that we are impacted by the media that surrounds us whether it be a conscious or subconscious choice. As a Media Studies major, I am also aware of how impactful the media’s message can have on our everyday lives. For example, I have been involved, a term I use loosely, in the beauty community that has bred several successful brand ambassadors for Maybelline, CoverGirl and brand collaborations like Morphe x KathleenLights and Katy x Desi. Through my engagement with this community I have learned a great deal about myself, self love, and empowerment. I will admit that when I first came into contact with the beauty community I was overwhelmed at the flawless faces I saw and their various makeup techniques that I wished I could learn. It became very troubling for me because I would frequently compare myself to these ‘perfect’ people so much so that I felt I had to wear makeup even just to go to the grocery store. However I opened my sphere of influencers I stumbled upon Kim Thai, someone who greatly advocates for self love and acceptance.( Click here for a personal favorite post by her ) Through her videos, I have learned how liberating it is to go out with no makeup, something I would have never dreamed of doing in the past; however that is not to say that I am afraid to go with a full beat face to the grocery store, because believe me I will.

I have also found it very unifying how much of our common experiences involve some form of media. In particular, I find live-tweeting during a show and relying on social media sites as a news source very interesting. For example, when I was younger you had to watch an awards show live to be able to talk about it the next day at school. Then when DVR recording became a thing, I stopped watching anything live. But more recently I find myself compelled to watch the programs live to just to live-tweet about them and share my opinions of the show. I also love the memes that people create about the show/characters. (Click here for one from GoT)
Overall, I don't really know who I am and I'm totally okay with that. It's important to grow and change and I'm down for any new and exciting experiences that may come my way. And my relationship with the media is complicated but in a good way and I wouldn’t change it for better or for worse.

p.s. this is me and my cat, natty.
p.p.s. i promise she doesn't hate me.

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture :)
    I really appreciate the time and the effort people put on sharing there opinions about TV shows or anything going on in society, but I personally think that because of multitasking we can not concentrate 100% on one project anymore. We Are actually switch tasking and we can't get fully in the zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your perspective on how media can unify society by giving people a platform to express their opinions. I also appreciate how you shared that social media has boosted your self-confidence and self-esteem. I would've definitely appreciated if you expanded on "media influencers' phenomenon. Why are digital media influencers important?

    ReplyDelete

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment - Antonio Mihail

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment                 Teen pregnancy has been one of the largest national conflicts in the United Sta...