Saturday, October 28, 2017

Why Witch Hunting is Important & How We Can Teach Our Boys to Be Better

Women Protesting the Manhattan District Attorney's Handling of Weinstein accusations.
Source: Holly Pickett for The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/17/opinion/columnists/weinstein-harassment-witchunt.html

My semester project is about sexual assault in Hollywood and the message powerful men are teaching are teaching young men and boys how to act around women. Following the Harvey Weinstein accusations, the debate around sexual assault was revitalized. Several prominent actresses have spoken out against him and have joined the conversation to prevent this from happening again. Clearly it is an uphill battle, since many of the media organizations are owned and operated with men at the highest positions. Of course, sexual assault occurs in various career fields but I choose to study it in Hollywood because it is a field of importance to me because I am entering this field and as a woman this is an issue that directly affects me. I wanted to look at several examples of the men in Hollywood who have been accused of sexual assault and rape and try to determine a motive. With this portion of the project I would rely on studies that focus on gender roles and the harm they cause to young boys. My initial reasoning is that it has something to do with the socialization of young boys and how harmful the imposition of strict gender roles can be on them; in addition, it is important to discuss the patriarchy and how it gives men more power and privilege.
I would create a children’s book (using Photoshop and Illustrator) directed at young boys, similar to a choose your own adventure story, in which the young boy would be faced with these sexual assault stories in the media and have a choice about what to do with his own life. Would he let his parents, father figures, and/or peers socialize him into thinking gender norms are acceptable and he as a man has all the power. Or would he enlighten himself through diverse media forms and feminist icons to challenge the patriarchy. This project would be take a lot of time so the timeline I have in mind would be to create a page every week or so and by the end of the semester I would have enough time to make revisions and take in feedback from my peers. This storybook would be something I would publish on Yumpu.com and share on my social media to spread the word about the project. My reasoning for making this stems from the fact that sexual assault is a prevalent issue in our society and won’t go away until people take action whether it be through legislation acts that protect women in the workforce, or having men use their privilege as a way to speak up about these issues. 


Some of the initial research I’ve done:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,

    The issue that you are covering in your final project is very timely. I still have some questions regarding how you will teach young boys about sexual assault, and ultimately to make different choices about gender roles. How will you set up your storyline? I know your book will target boys but what age group? I think maybe having a section that discussed generally sexual assault, all the powerful women in media that have been affected, and a discussion portion would work. Also, including a little glossary maybe nice way to define terms we often think we know.

    Thanks for sharing and I look forward to the final product!

    -Yolanda Mackey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a children's book! I think it's great if they get to see the result of both options. It's especially fitting due to the uproar of sexual harassment charges lately.

    I do like the idea of adding some additional background information like Yolanda said. It might help add some emphasis on why their actions could be hurtful and how they could haunt them later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really interested in seeing how you tackle this. It's so important to teach children, especially boys, about this topic but it's also a very sensitive subject when discussing it with children. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment - Antonio Mihail

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment                 Teen pregnancy has been one of the largest national conflicts in the United Sta...