Thursday, October 26, 2017

Final Project Proposal

I decided to take a step away from consuming and commenting on media platforms to develop my own perspective. I have not actively used social media or contributed in any meaningful way in the past 2-3 years. Prior to this decision, I actively commented and posted on Facebook, Instagram and started my own blog, Women’s Empowerment. After taking this course, I realize I must be vocal and share my specific point of view. I plan to first further research and discuss the illusion of choice in media and the ever-present male gaze in our society. My finding will be posted to the class blog and I will put the link on my social media accounts.

My next objective is to post on my old blog and explain why I stopped posting. This may be in the form of a short blog post and a video. I will do this by the end of November. I’m not sure if I will continue posting on that blog or if I will rebrand myself and start an entirely new blog. I previously participated in the Miss America organization on the local level, and one of the requirements was developing a platform. My platform was Women’s Empowerment: Strengthing the Girl Within, and initially, that is why I started blogging. However, my current goal is for there to be a balance between my identity and my message to encourage others. My blog lacked personality. This time around, I will focus on my perspective and not spread a “universal message.” I realize as a Black female living in NYC I cannot speak to everyone’s experiences, just my own. So I would gladly appreciate suggestions for specific ideas for blog posts! J
Right now I’m considering blogging/vlogging on 3-5 different issues.


Fortunately, I still have a small audience that has not unfollowed my platform Facebook page so I will use this as a platform to promote the blog. I enjoy writing and encouraging others so starting up my blog again has always been on my list of things to do. But I have not been able to get to it. I’m confident making the blog my final project will ensure that this task finally gets checked off. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Yolanda! I love this idea I think revisiting your past and rebranding yourself sounds like an interesting idea. I think maybe you can create like a "who I am" video or post showing you being unapologetically you and in turn maybe talk about how being different can universally bring women together. Maybe you can talk about your own life and stories about who you are as a Black female from NYC. I think an interesting idea would to try to get engagement (I know that's super hard) and ask others to share their own stories compared to yours (kinda like the #metoo campaign combined with youtube comments if that makes any sense).

    ReplyDelete

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment - Antonio Mihail

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment                 Teen pregnancy has been one of the largest national conflicts in the United Sta...