Saturday, October 28, 2017

Final Project Proposal

For my final project, I will be creating a magazine that will focus on the lives and experiences of Muslim women in America. The magazine will consist of articles, poems, interviews, and artwork created by these women. My goal is to create a safe environment where Muslim women are allowed to express themselves and show who they really are.
Pinterest
 I want to highlight the diversity of this group of women and their individual perspectives on the world to show that the Muslim woman is not oppressed by her religion or culture. This oppressive Muslim woman is the only narrative that is given mainstream media coverage (Essay on this) and that is something that I want to challenge. The magazine is intended for a general audience above the age of 16. I want the non-Muslim audience to be able to read through the magazine and understand the complexity of the Muslim women’s identity. For the Muslim audience, I want this magazine to be something that they can relate to as a form of media where they can see themselves in a positive light.  


I intend to create the magazine in Adobe InDesign and link the PDF to our class Blog. The content of the magazine will be created by friends, family, and colleagues that I know. I will try my best to reach out to a wider variety of Muslim women in order to create a more diverse magazine. On November 1st, I will be sending out emails to everyone with the requirement of their specific parts. We have agreed that then they will have two weeks to get back to me with their stories, poems, art etc. Within those two weeks, I will focus on creating the structure and outline of the Magazine including the cover page.(I need help with the title, if anyone has suggestions please let me know). After I receive all the content I will then start to curate the magazine. I am planning on using this magazine as a part of my graphic design portfolio.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this idea and believe that there is a niche for a magazine like this. I definitely think as far as structuring the magazine, if you plan on working on this beyond class, think of how often you'd release the magazine(weekly, monthly, quarterly). Within that, choose some important topics to highlight within the muslim community. Also since you're doing a magazine, you will need to think especially about original visuals and photographs to help supplement your content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sanaa,

    I really like your topic, its has lots fat, you will have so many things to say.
    I’m just little concerned about the idea of how Muslim women aren’t oppressed buy their culture or religion!!
    When we talk talk about Muslim people there are 50 major Islamic countries in the world. Every country has its own background, believes and culture. Also every country has many other religions. When I see the horrific torture of women, men and even kids in Myanmar , it makes me really think if your statement is right ?
    Also being a muslim women in India or Egypt or any other country is different than being a muslim women from Iraq especially the area where ISIS is.
    I suggest you to see this video:
    (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oZlhDdMIMIs )
    maybe you also would like to include the negative side of being a muslim women in a bias world.
    Looking forward to have of your magazine I’m sure it will be a good reference piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really cool idea and I think you could definitely make many issues of the magazine. Are you going to "publish" it in that it's going to be distributed out? Do you want to consider the international perspectives? I think it could create an interesting dialogue. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment - Antonio Mihail

Teen Pregnancy and Educational Attainment                 Teen pregnancy has been one of the largest national conflicts in the United Sta...